Yay for spring! The warmer mornings have me craving a cool, refreshing breakfast. Overnight oats are an awesome option for something quick to fuel a busy morning. They’re already pretty easy to make: oats + milk/yogurt/kefir + toppings, stir it up and let it soak overnight. But, sometimes I find that the ratio isn’t quite perfect if I didn’t measure, leaving me with too-chewy oats, too much liquid, or not the right flavor.
I also sometimes forget to throw together my oats the night before. This time around, I experimented with a packet of flavored instant oats and ground flax. Manitoba Milling was kind enough to send me some of their ground flax; in this recipe it adds a great boost of omega-3 fatty acids and helps the oats thicken up. The oats ended up being ready in just 2 hours, and I didn’t have to think twice about whether it would taste good. Since I made it in a mason jar, it was all ready to go! Perfect for a desk breakfast.
Protein + carbs + fiber + fat = a well fueled busy morning. Try this out and let me know what you think!
Super easy overnight oats
Refreshing and fueling oats for a busy morning.
- 1 50 g packet instant oats, any flavor
- 2 tsp ground flax seed
- 1/4 – 1/3 cup frozen fruit
- 1 cup plain kefir
2. Put the lid on your jar and shake it! Check to see for any unmixed bits in the bottom and stir with a spoon if needed.
3. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight, or take it with you somewhere with a refrigerator and then refrigerate for at least an hour. The frozen fruit will help keep it cold in transit.
4. Top with more frozen berries and enjoy.